Friday 1 April 2011

No Lifeguard on Duty



Really loving this series of diss-used swimming pools 'No Lifeguard on Duty' by J. Bennett Fitts. I've always been strangely attracted to derelict buildings and abandoned spaces. Maybe it's the trace of people that I find most interesting, obviously theres the dangerous aspect attatched to running around these places trying not to be seen or get caught out, usually ending up in a good old chase.

J Bennett Fitts

Im particularly interested in this series, I can't figure out why, I think it might be to do with the way we are seeing these spaces as they are not meant to be seen, these pools have been drained, they seem somewhat dead I suppose. A nice little graveyard of swimming pools! It also reminds me of how angry I was at Aberdeen Council's decision on the closure of Bon Accord Baths. A beautiful building, with a great history,  probably the best swimming pool in Aberdeen, which without maintenence will probably fall into a state of serious disrepair given five or ten years. Bloody love this website,  I'm about to shamefully show my nerdy side...
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33725&highlight=aberdeen

One of the best places I have ever visited was 'Spree Park', an abandoned amusement park in Planterwald, Berlin. Extremely creepy with forgotten decaying rides, it really felt like walking through a film set on a horror film.. always jumping at the slightest whistle of wind or birdsong. The bit that sticks out most in my mind was approaching the massive ferris wheel, because of the wind the damn thing had started to rotate, as if it was in use and I have to admit I did act like a little girl and hide behind my friend.


Theres a documentory about the background story of why the place got shut down, something to do with the owner smuggling drugs in the ride carriages or something, as yet I have been unable to find an english subtitled version of it, but it looks like a great watch if anyone could help me out as my german translation is pretty much non-existant.


I don't really know what this blog post is about, or really the aim of it.. just some cool stuff I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment